Old 12-05-19, 11:21 AM
markjenn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I like the simplicity of 1x and have it on most of my bikes.

The 42 chainring with 11-42 in back is pretty standard for a 1x system and gets you a 1:1 low gear which is usually adequate for most folks except for carrying loads in hilly terrain. You could still probably make it work by fitting a 38t for touring as you probably don't need to pedal above 23-mph or so anyway so the loss at the high end isn't very important. Note that the 2x setup you're considering actually is worse from a low-gear standpoint (although it has much higher gears) so if you want very low gears, you're going to have to make mods no matter what you get. If you need even lower gearing, you probably should be looking at completely different systems, perhaps even a triple. As someone else has said, gearing is very personal.

The slightly bigger gearing gaps of 1x are inconsequential for an all-around utility bike. They typically become an issue come with high-speed riding in groups where your speed is being dictated by others and you are near the limit. And a 2x system needs to be carefully selected to avoid similar gaps.

So I'd go with the 1x but be prepared to fit a smaller front chainring for your loaded trips.

- Mark

Last edited by markjenn; 12-05-19 at 11:26 AM.