Thread: Petite riders
View Single Post
Old 01-05-21, 11:04 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6235 Post(s)
Liked 4,242 Times in 2,378 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
Why do you want to put words in my mouth? And get all angry about something never said?
I put no words in your mouth nor did I “get all angry” about anything. I was just pointing out that bringing up a 50 year old bike as the example of the pinnacle of bicycle design is something of a moot point. I also don’t agree that it is the pinnacle of bicycle design. Nor do I agree that “good stuff for short riders has always existed”. Through 40 years and a couple of dozens of ill fitting bikes, I haven’t found that much good stuff for small riders.

I said nothing about trying to find a particular bike for a particular person. I said there is no mystery in building bikes for smaller riders.
Geogena Terry would disagree. My odyssey in finding small bikes would also disagree. I have had to search far and wide for parts and bicycles that fit small riders.

Look, I think it’s wonderful that your wife found a bike she liked. But most small women I’ve worked with on getting the proper bike don’t have that experience. Geogena Terry did a lot to get companies to make small bikes and bikes that fit women for a while but it seems to have worn off lately. I really wish small women riders could go into a shop and pull a bike off the wall and it would just “fit” like they do for me. But that has never been the model and probably never will.

I am mad but not necessarily at you. Small bicycles and the problems with finding them is a frustration I’ve had to deal with for ages.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 01-05-21 at 11:16 AM.