Old 03-24-20, 04:01 PM
ChrisAlbertson

Bikes: 70's frame, newer parts

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by luismboc
A bike from 2006...with less than 50 miles on it...sounds fishy. Regardless, bike from 2006 might have some significant wear that is hard to judge. Unless you know the rider/owner, it feels like a high risk proposition.
Bikes can last forever. I ride a mid-1970s vintage bike but every part has been replaced/upgraded at least once. Older bikes are great for a person who is able to work on bikes and replace parts but maybe not so great for a person who can't. The Modone 5.2 is kind of over the top for a new rider. It is a full-on race bike. It was sold with Ultriga parts and if it has duraace then some (expensive) upgrades were done. Eith erhtis bike was ridden a lot then cleaned up for sale or it was owned but a guy with more money then time and riding abilty. There are MANY people like that wh buy high-end bikes but never really ride then then years later figure out they never will ride it and sell it. If you are the guy who can take aart hubs and bottom brackets and true wheel then you found a good deal. Offer him 80% of his asking price.

I see more than a few middle age guys all decked out in race clothing with $6,000 bike sitting on the bench by the bike path looking at their phones. Eventually, they sell the bike. Anyone would be very lucky to buy it. So don't discount all older bikes. But don't buy one unless you know how to look at them

One easy way to see if a bike has the claimed 50 miles or more like 5000 miles is to check the chain for "stretch". But maybe the chain has been replaced so check the brand of the chain. Is it original?

I would say there are FAR more bikes that are just stored and taken out every 3 or 4 weeks, ridden 5 or 7 miles then taken home the there are bikes riden 200 miles a week. The vast majority re not used much. Even if rriden 200 miles a week, every part might have been replaced as needed. On my bike, I just replaced the chain, rear cogs and derailleur, and bottom bracket bearings for the third time. It does not matter if the bike is 44 years old if these things were done as required.

That said, you need to learn bike maintenance if you own an older bike.
Likes For ChrisAlbertson: