Thread: Mineral Spirits
View Single Post
Old 03-24-11, 09:44 PM
1saxman

Bikes: Trek 930 (1992), Motobecane Hybrid w/juice brakes, spring fork and Shimano 8-spd hub.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
I got good results using a cleaner called 'Roll-Off' and boiling water for a chain that was off the bike. I use a Tupperware pitcher with a lid, put the chain in, add about a tablespoon of cleaner, add about a cup or so of boiling water and shake (if you do this you have to vent the top or it will blow off). I did this three or four times and the chain got pretty clean. After air-drying, I put the chain in a 16 oz. measuring cup with a wad of paper towel under it and sprayed it down with Boeshield T9, which displaces water, cleans and leaves a waxy lubricant. The paper was to absorb any displaced moisture to keep it away from the chain. After this I used a double-bent pipe cleaner to get any remaining dirt between the rollers, re-sprayed with T9, worked the chain over with a toothbrush, sprayed again with T9 and finally wiped it down. At this point its ready to install.
I cleaned another chain on the bike with an old Allsop spray can with clamp-on triple brush cleaner head that had been stored for 15 years. This actually worked great, and the clamp-on head will fit other spray cans. This chain wasn't very dirty to start with. This system is messy and I had to use rags and paper towels to wipe the fluid off the garage floor and bike. This is most likely why this type of chain cleaner system became obsolete.
Cleaning the chain and driveline of a derailleur bike is my least-favorite bike job, but it is the one service that makes the most difference in appearance and smooth operation.