Old 11-29-23, 11:33 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1536 Post(s)
Liked 1,537 Times in 923 Posts
In that case I'd also recommend the Trek Antelope/800 series or Specialized HardRock option. They're inexpensive and rugged enough to do whatever you want with them.

Originally Posted by TC1
I like the idea of belt drive, having owned a couple belted Alfine bikes myself, but I am not enthused about the prospect of a knock-off hub with loose bearings. That does not sound like a reliable all-weather design, to me -- that sounds like "How cheap can we build it?" Priority doesn't even spec the make or model of the hub anywhere on their site, such is their pride in it. They do at least claim some level of sealing for their crankset. And while it's not a big deal for a rider traveling 7 miles a day, Gates belts are not a very good deal -- per Gates' FAQ they last twice as long as a chain, but they cost 5 times more. And forget about changing your ratio -- one of the reasons I no longer have a belt-drive bike is because I needed a larger front ring, but that was going to cost around $250 to change.

Also rim brakes are less-than-ideal for the type of usage required.

Heh, you and I have wildly different levels of cold tolerance -- I routinely ride in shorts and sandals when it is over 50.

Yeah, I don't think he's going to be seeking that for a while, but thanks.