View Single Post
Old 04-01-20, 11:02 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4816 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,566 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
don't have a kitchen table, just the dining room and don't find it hard to move anywhere with the base. Also picked it up off Amazon warehouse deals for 125.00 with a damaged box, the box went into the garbage just as well as any other so I don't know why they dropped the price so low. Seem like one goes on there every other month, the base was extra. Plus side is the base holds oil, all the spoke wrenches, extra nipples and spoke prep while keeping the table free if drippings from oiling the nipples.
Much, much nicer than mine! But also a lot bigger to store.

OIl? I am not sure I've ever oiled spoke threads. Been using Phil green since the dark ages and moved to marine grease 15-20 years ago. Love that with marine grease. The nipples turn years later, even if the wheel has been through salt. (Really easy to use also. I pick up a bunch of spokes, even the ends on the table, dip the bunch about 2/3s of the threads into the grease, roll the bunch in my hands to even the grease out and done. Rim holes get daubed with a cotton swap. No mess, no drip. Fast.

Ben