genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Ninety5rpm
Simple solution:

Heck, they wouldn't even implement the "change one road" solution... much less make a round-a-bout.

The fact is the local authorities don't give a hoot about injured or dead cyclists... any more than society at large.

To quote a comment offered by one of the readers of the site:
I agree that blind spots, CBDR, stop signs, give way signs, junction designs are part of the problem, here and at similar junctions. The real problem though is the way people who drive a vehicle and kill someone else are allowed to simply hang their head and say sorry, opps, slap my wrist, give me a fine, possibly even stop me driving for a wee while, maybe lock me up if I’ve very very naughty.
Maybe some properly scary punishments, like lifetime driving bans, jail terms similar to manslaughter?
As a society, we tend to give preferential treatment to motorists... unless drugs or alcohol are involved. This all comes from the "oops, it was an "accident" mentality. In the case of one dead victim mentioned in the OP link... there was plenty of evidence to indicate the driver never even slowed down, in spite of there being a "Give Way" zone. (cheap version of a stop sign... )

In fact the driver was charged with causing death by dangerous driving and pleaded guilty to causing death by careless driving, but was found not guilty of the more serious offence by a jury despite having driven through the junction’s “Give Way” line at 37mph without slowing.