Old 01-12-18, 04:08 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Heck, they wouldn't even implement the "change one road" solution... much less make a round-a-bout.

The fact is the local authorities don't give a hoot about injured or dead cyclists... any more than society at large.
They have, however, actually made some changes.

As mentioned above, sometime around the time of the third accident (second fatality), the yield signs were replaced with stop signs, and bike images were painted on the road.

Even if drivers roll through the stop signs, it is less likely that they'll be rolling through them at constant velocity without looking.

So, re-routing the roads may not have been necessary.

I find yield signs, and unmarked intersections rare in urban areas here in the USA. But, I don't think I've ever seen a yield sign in rural areas in the USA. And this very accident may well be the reason. Rolling stop or not, people are going faster through yield signs, and just don't pay as much attention.

Oh, perhaps there are unmarked street corners on gravel roads on forest service roads in the mountains. But even in that case, there often is a main street and a side street with pretty obvious precedence.

Hopefully the British will actually evaluate other intersections. Rather than adding costly, and potentially dangerous offset intersections, or millions of roundabouts, they should just replace all of the yield signs with stop signs. Also stop doing that silly putting a sign directly in front of a stop/yield sign (shared sign post instead?)