View Single Post
Old 03-17-18, 05:29 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Audax does mandate using lights and reflective vests outside of sunset and sunrise. As to the other points, they are trivial. As it is, the UMAC required we had reflective tape on cranks and chainstays for the two 24 hour event we completed in Iowa.

You, BikeLite, should perhaps participate in some decent events around the world to understand some things that you patently don't at the moment. Throughout these discussions, you've come across more as a troll, than anyone contributing thoughtful discussion.

To put this into perspective....

Both Machka and I have been active long-distance event organisers for some years, she in Canada and Australia and me in Australia. I also have sat on the National Audax Australia committee. All this is apart from participating in events as riders around the world.

In the discussions we had about the Indi-Pac BEFORE the first one even started, I noted that the regulations were lax and that the event was just ripe for an incident that could have serious ramifications through the Long Distance community here. This came after the death of several other randonneurs in events in Australia and New Zealand, as well. One of those I had to deal with as a National Audax committee member.

There are guidelines and rules in Audax for organisers to follow. Comprehensive ones. It's not just a case of some dude, like you BikeLite, having a fanciful idea of a route, sitting down in front of a computer and mapping out something that looks great -- on the screen. We know of some organisers who do that, set up the event and run it, but because they haven't physically checked the routes (because, you know, Googlemaps, and MapMyRide, et al are soooo good) and taken into account the guidelines, they put riders at serious risk.

And unlike the US, where anyone who is hurt and hasn't taken out their own insurance can get effed by organisers and the system, we have a much more civilised approach where insurance covers riders while on events, and Audax members even when on training rides. In order for that insurance to work, however, there is compliance with certain standards. So we go back to management of events within rules and guidelines.

As to the Mike Hall incident... every picture I ever saw of Mike, he was wearing a dark blue kit. There appears to be an issue about conspicuity. Maybe his reflective gear and dark clothing wasn't enough. Maybe his rear lights had run out of batteries. Who knows until the coroner hands down a finding... and undoubtedly recommendations.

Already, the organiser of the original Indi-Pac has withdrawn, and the event is now being run ad hoc by its participants. The effect on last year's organiser and his family and and their future lives, I suspect, will be considerable. As an adviser once told me a decade ago, it would cost a person not covered by public liability insurance around $25,000 (probably double that now) just to get a lawyer to fire up their computer in response to an action to sue by a victim's family.

Remember, too, that there is a driver involved in the Mike Hall incident whose life is irrevocably affected by this. So it's not only Mike Hall, his family, his circle of friends and acquaintances, and the organisers, but a slew of other people as well... including the other participants in that Indi-Pac... and the driver and family.

So before you put fingers to the keyboard, BikeLite, with childish comments such as "They just need another race coordinator/sponsor that is less risk averse", you should mature up and think about some of these ramifications.