Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
A shop I used to part-time at
Had a trainer/zwift-like setup, if anyone wanted to "test ride" a bike
We would start with a fitting. sizing, and have them spin for a while
Gave the sales guy time for a 1 on 1 with a potential new customer

An uncommon approach that yielded good results
Customers didn't always go for the bike, but usually purchased something they didn't know they needed, and many returned as regular customers over time
This is a very good idea. Not sure why not all shops have a trainer set up so people could "test" the fit of the bikes.

Originally Posted by smullen
I would never buy a bike from a place that would not let me test ride one...
Just a few months ago, I went to a shop down in Cape Girardeau just wanting to look, not planning on testing or buying.

After talking to a Sales guy and the manager for a bit and showing interest in a few, they suggested I take one for a ride. I resisted at 1st, but they coaxed me into it.

I ended up riding like 7 or 8 bikes, including a Ebike and a Super Expensive Carbon fiber job, that cost more than my last truck (which was used of course)...

They seemed nice, polite, very passionate about bikes and they seemed like they really cared that I got the right bike for me.
I visited 3 more stores over the next month and because of that I went back and bought from them.

I have one more to check out (much further North of me), buy they will most likely be my go to shop from now on.
I like to support local when I can.
This seems like a good shop. Perhaps I can find one like that around here.

Originally Posted by StanSeven
I agree with those saying don’t buy without a test ride. For one thing a shop offering test rides tells loads about the shop and customer satisfaction. Some here say test rides aren’t needed if you know size and geometry you want. That’s partially true. But there’s lots more to a frame than geometry. Then there’s the feel of different groups, components, wheels, etc. I had one shop change wheels for me. Another offered for me to take home the demo bike over a weekend. Another shop told me to test ride but I declined at first because it was cold and wasn’t dressed for the weather. They had me take a jacket and gloves off the rack to go out for a 30 mile ride.
Thanks, thats good advice. I will try and test ride some bikes and see which I like.