Thread: Komoot
View Single Post
Old 04-01-21, 11:59 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by scottfsmith
.... I don't think you can use it for free these days outside of the small free zone you get initially.
I do not try to sync Komoots with my GPS. I loaded Komoots at home (Wisconsin) and used it in Canada (Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island) and had no trouble using the free version, that was in June and July 2019.

I usually made my decision the night before where my next day destination would be and the route to get there. I mostly used my GPS to give me a route but if it did not look like an efficient route, I would also look at the Komoot route or the Maps.Me route using automotive routing. And sometimes tried automotive routing on my GPS instead of tour cycling to compare routes. And there were a few times I chucked all electronic options and took the road that looked best on the paper map.

In other words, I do not exclusively use any method, if my GPS route looks good on the GPS screen I just take it. But if it looked hilly or a long winding route, I checked other options too and sometimes used that instead. I was traveling where there was no "suggested" bike routing, so I was pretty much on my own every day to pick the route to take.

Of the options, I probably used Komoot the least, I did not have a local sim card for my phone, so needed wifi. And I was trying to be self sufficient for electricity on dynohub, thus was minimizing screen time as much as practical on my phone and wifi. That was the only option I used that needed a data connection, everything else I was using was off line.