View Single Post
Old 08-23-19, 12:22 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
The Tektro Oryx is a low-profile cantilever, a style which can suffer from low mechanical advantage if the straddle isn't positioned very low, and which usually ends up with a weird regressive modulation curve. It also comes with a link wire instead of a traditional straddle, and this usually spells spongy performance.

If you're going to stick with centerpull cantilevers, I'd go for a wide-profile brake with a straddle. For a decent budget option, maybe a Tektro CR720.

Alternately, if you want significantly more braking power and don't need as much clearance as a cantilever brake offers, switching to a mini-v brake could work. They typically have more leverage than centerpull cantis, are easier to set up, and their cabling scheme eliminates one potential source of braking judder.

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I trust the lives of both myself and my dear wife to nameless OEM v-brakes and so can any of you.
It's surprising to me that you'd talk about people not needing powerful brakes, and then say that you're using Vs. The Deore T610 v-brakes on my gravel bike are about as powerful as the hydro discs on my MTB...

V-brake geometry generally results in extremely high mechanical advantage, so much that even with long-pull levers the pads usually need to be set pretty close to the rim in order to get good engagement. Even fairly cheap v-brakes tend to produce tons of braking power.