Old 03-15-21, 11:33 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Leonie
Thank you for the reply!
And so it becomes interesting . As you mentioned when I tried to post pictures they were added to a gallery, hopefully it is open to everyone. My original conclusion that the bike came from the early 70's is based on a comment I received by a bike mechanic. He mentioned that the method of engraving/stamping the B's (sorry I don't know the correct terminology), for example where the seat stays connect to the seat post, was changed after 1975 dating the bike to a time before that.

If I may ask, what is your reasoning for that the bike most likely is a 1986 model?
Yes, I found your photographs and they support 1986. A 1971-1972 would not have water bottle bosses, an investment cast seat stay bridge for recessed brakes or short Campagnolo dropouts. All these features are very hard to change without great cost. The most modern feature are the Campagnolo non-Portacatena, short dropouts, which makes it no earlier than mid-1980s. The 'B' within a circle embossing on the seat stay caps carried through into the late 1980s.

Components also support the era with an aero style crankset (introduced early 1980s), post CPSC (1978+) Campagnolo components, 1978-1987 style Columbus decal and Modolo Speedy brakeset. It looks like the rear wheel, or at least the quick release skewer is a replacement.

The x.x segment of the serial number is the date code, with the numeral indicating the calendar year. Sometimes, we see some European models with two numerals. Regardless, since both are '6', it indicates 1986 manufacture, as frame features indicate it is not from the previous decade.

What is difficult to identify is the model, as specs and model names were often market specific and I have little knowledge of the German market models. However, the mixed Italian components are typical of Bianchi mid-range models of this era.