Old 07-02-20, 03:44 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,633 Times in 1,670 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Any problems with crank length from the conversion and lower overall bike height?

A 650B has been on my to-do list for my Univega Via Carisma. Partly to lower the height a bit -- the frame is slightly large for me but generally comfortable after tweaking the fit with a different stem and handlebar. But I'm also hoping the conversion will contribute to a plusher ride.

Much as I like the bike with the current setup -- Nitto albatross bar -- something about it jolts my old neck injury the wrong way on chipseal. And chipseal has increasingly become the standard pavement in my area. I've tried various height/reach tweaks but nothing quite resolves the problem.

Recently I switched my Ironman to latex tubes and was surprised by how much it improved the ride quality. It's more comfortable on bad roads with latex tubes and decent 700x25 tires than my Univega with 700x38 tires at lower pressure.

I'm at the limit of tire width with the 700c setup, but there's plenty of room for fatter tires if I convert to 650B. Even if I could fit fatter 700c tires, it would also raise the overall bike height, which is already marginally tall for me. I think it's a 58cm frame, maybe 60cm, and I'm 5'11" with 33" inseam.

I'll probably need to replace the 175 cranks with 170 to make it work and ensure enough clearance.
I have 3 bikes with 650b conversions. A 175, 172.5 and 170 crank on the respective bikes. I really dont notice pedal strike issues on any of them. The 175 is on a px10.
Likes For 52telecaster: