Old 03-16-21, 03:24 PM
adam.schwartz4

Bikes: 2012 Bianchi Volpe, 1990 Trek Singletrack 950, 1987 Nishiki Prestige, 1990 Bridgestone CB-0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Agonizing over tire size: is 32mm hilariously thin in 2021?

Informal poll here. in 2012 I bought a Bianchi Volpe and at the time it was the most expensive thing I'd ever purchased. Used my FSA which was due to expire and incredibly wrote off the Italian steed as an expense....hope the wrong people don't see this.

Anyway, back then 32mm was a solid sized tire, and my chainstay spacing is proof of that lol. But my things have certainly changed. I've been loyal to Schwalbe Marathons for over a decade, but 5K miles later through all sorts of NYC streets and upstate gravel, it's finally time for a change. I really want to go up in size, but I am SUPER reluctant to remove my fenders just for a test (they get in the way when I try to see the fit with my commuter wheel with Pasela 38s). Adjusting fenders is my nightmare wrench activity...

Either way I highly doubt I can jam anything bigger than 38 in there!

So here's my question: am I really missing out by riding 32s? Is it worth even the nominal gain in tire size to go 35?

I feel like even 38 is considered thin these days and I wanna know if I'm missing out! I do lots of touring over summer, mostly road with some light gravel. I'm deeply inspired by the Jan Heine Bicycle Quarterly way of thinking and if anything want to get some supple shoes with solid flat protection on my Volpe. Thinking the Soma Shikoros....or just saying screw it and buying another pair of Marathons. Discuss!