Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by TRaffic Jammer
Just posting so I might come back to it later. Re: WD-40 it's for anti seize. We messengers used to carry a small can around in our bags in the winter for all manner of stuff. Chains, shifters, cables, brake pivot points, seat posts, just about anything. It is not a lube though, it has some in it mixed with the loosening agents, but it does work. We'd spray it on on those 10cm+ of snow days to help keep the freewheel clear of ice with the exception of the single gear you were riding. It's not uncommon to see a messenger get off his bike at a light and bounce/kick all the crap off it that had gathered.

I was lucky in that I had a friend that lived a block from a fire station , so they'd hose the bikes down at the end of a gross sloppy day for us.

I'm toying with the idea of trying to mount 28mm cross tires on my road brake setup Paké for this winter.
WD40 is really poor lube but does work well as a quick anti seize... my homebrew lube uses WD40 as a solvent base for he added synthetic oil (which makes it an excellent lube) and it flows well in very cold conditions whereas regular oil flows like honey.

Added more content today...