Old 12-30-15, 11:12 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Sangetsu
I live in Roppongi, in central Tokyo. It is a rather crowded and busy place, well known for it's shops and stores, as well as night life. I live in a tower apartment building next to a shopping center, and I have a view of Tokyo Tower, and the Mori Building. I can also see the Rainbow Bridge over Tokyo Bay, and Mt Fuji in the distance. Next to the shopping center is a large Japanese style park. The park has a pond, very modern and clean restrooms, a traditional-style building where one can sit and enjoy the view of a large pond. On the other part of the park they are installing an outdoor ice skating rink, which should be open for new years day.

The area has many very good shops and restaurants, including some with Michelin stars. The best way to get around is on foot, or by bicycle, the streets are very congested with cars.

Tokyo has four seasons. Winters are cold, but it seldom snows, and not so cold that you really need a hat or gloves to go out. Summers are rather hot and humid, but nothing like Miami, which is where I am from. The cost of living is rather high, food costs nearly four times as much here as it does in America. Clothes and other goods, if they are good quality, are also expensive.

The best thing about Tokyo is that it is a very safe place. I can walk on any street at any time in any neighborhood, and not worry about getting mugged. I can park my bicycle anywhere, and not worry about it getting stolen. Funny, but down in front of a nearby convenience store there is a Cannondale CAAD9 bike with a Shimano 105 groupset. The bike was abandoned there months ago, unlocked, and no one has stolen it. It will probably sit there until the tires start to rot, and the chain seizes up with just, then the city will haul it away as junk. A couple of years ago I got onto a subway train, but forgot my bag at the platform. In the bag I had a Leica M4 MOT camera and lenses, as well as a Macbook Pro and an iPad. It took me half an hour to get back to the station, but my bag was right where I had left it.

Right now it is sunny, but cold, about 5% celsius. The streets are full of workers, visitors, and tourists, you can hear many languages being spoken. It is an interesting place to visit, and even more interesting to live. I am lucky enough to be able to work from home, so I can enjoy the view most of the day, and I have free time to go out and do what I want to do.
Sounds like a cyclists paradise!