canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
If you have 105 or 600 on your Ironman, it should index shift a 28 cog without any trouble. Just screw in the B screw and pull the rear wheel as far back in the dropout as you can.
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
This.
There are 13-28 freewheels out there. I have a couple. They'll index.
Mine's the '89 Expert, Suntour GPX. Not sure if it'll index with a 28 rear. I've gotten spoiled by indexing, although I suppose I could go back to friction with some practice.

Originally Posted by top506
FWIW, I ran GPX with a 13-28 AND a 52/42/28 triple.
Index or friction on the 13-28?
Did the original GPX front derailer/shifter work with that triple?

Originally Posted by texaspandj
Can't you do both run a 28T and 39 up front? I have a 39 on one of mine and they're still available.
But Jeez man, I think a 64 mile ride is exhausting for me just thinking about it. Ride on.
BTW http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...t-fc-a550.html
Which 39 ring did you get? I'd probably start with that and see how it goes with the 13-24 Suntour original and 13-25 Sunrace spare. I'm needing just a little more oomph, might not need the 28 rear. We'll see.

BTW, a friend rode 345 miles this weekend, to and from the Hotter'N Hell Hundred, in 32 hours. Averaged 17-18 mph throughout. Yeah, he's a little younger, in his early 40s. But, still... beast mode activated. I can hardly even move today after my 64 mile ride Saturday.

Originally Posted by aeshultz
I've taken to starting with a 38-39 inner ring on most all my bikes, and then adjusting with rear gearing. My Litespeed, Ironman, and now the Marinoni are setup that way. Heck, I just bought a Campy crank just because it had a 39 inner ring- took the chainring, and passed the rest along.
Thanks, I may try just a 39 if I can find one to fit the existing crankset.