canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I still think the tightness of the chain amplified the underlying issue, and that it is some kind of bent part, axle or BB spindle, or a misaligned rear wheel, freewheel not seated properly, bent RD hangar (would cause resistance right before the RD catastrophically fails---don't ask me how I know this).

This is very interesting. I know I owe some folks here the steps to easy and long-term alignment of single pivot GPX and 105 calipers, but I'll get to it. Hint: cone wrenches, and you shouldn't see much movement when the caliper is bolted up, correct housing length or not.
Yup, I wondered about those things. I checked everything as well as I could, just eyeballing it. Everything *looks* straight, but I may not even know what to look for.

The SunRace freewheel is new, should be okay. I just installed it Friday. Only problem was shifting to the little cog. Coin finally dropped -- the dork disc was interfering. The rear of the SunRace body is just slightly thicker than the Suntour. After removing the dork disc everything was fine. Seems to shift well and I like the spacing a bit better.

I'm definitely interested in the alignment tips when you have time. You mentioned one for the GPX brakes too awhile back. Thanks. For now I'm just positioning the cable housings so the brakes don't rub. Works well enough.