DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveQ24
Thanks from me, too, I was planning on getting the shingles vaccine when I turned 60 - I researched it and found it wasn't that effective if given earlier. This new vaccine sounds really promising, and I will definitely get it as soon as it's available.

Seeing the pain, hearing loss, and general suffering my mother went through when shingles hit her at age 87, almost 88 actually, even if I had to pay $1000 out of pocket for the new vaccine (I have no idea what it costs, I haven't found anyone near me that actually offers it yet, nor any cost estimates), it would be well worth it.

I got my shot of the old version last year at age 57 - doctor and insurance company both recommended it.
Doctor billed $380 and insurance paid the contracted $204 and my copay/deductible was zero - besides for the office visit.
My doctor was actually arrested (!) last year and I don't have a new one yet... I'll probably be ready for a physical about the same time the new vaccine is available, and that'll be a good time to meet a new doctor.