Old 12-19-17, 10:21 AM
angerdan

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Physical/technical aspects of lighting during fog

Originally Posted by mcours2006
The rest of the video footage was completely useless as the lens was covered with dew.
I had two headlights--one on steady and one on blinking. I had my main tail light on solid and a smaller one on blinking. Plus a helmet mounted tail light on blinking.

What sort of lighting strategy works best for fog?
Physical/technical aspects of lighting during fog

Frontlight:
  • beam angle of the light should be below 30° (to reduce self blinding while provide line of sight)
  • should be as far away from the drivers optical axis as possible (to reduce blinding by illuminated water drops in the air)
  • Color temperature should be as low as possible, at least neutral white below 4.000K to improve vision by removing short, blue to violet wavelengths from the projected light. These wavelengths are difficult for the human visual system to process properly, and they cause perceived dazzle and glare effects in rain, fog and snow. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_yellow
Rearlight:
  • beam angle of the light should be above 120° (to bee seen from any rear incoming angle)
  • luminous flux should be above 40lm (be bright enought to be seen early enough)
  • illuminated area of the light should be as large as possible (to allow distance calculation for following road users)
  • illuminated area of the light should have a aspect ratio unequal as possible (to allow distance calculation for following road users)