Old 01-26-19, 03:40 PM
Grey goat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Beautiful Paramount, sir!! OS tubing, I presume? I really like the neon green accenting--complements the white, black, and (ever so slightly blue-ish) dark grey. How do you like the ride?

You have also inadvertently answered a very recent mental question of mine: Will first generation Shimano STI shifters (I have 6400-era 600 units like you do here, and like them over the DA ones, color-wise) work well with a more modern bar set up where the curve from the tops/ramps to the hooks/drops is much smaller in radius (like how it is where you've clamped your shifters) than older, traditional drop bars. I make a big deal (internally of course) of having a level, smooth, and non-concave/scoop-like transition from bars to the shifter "knob" (where it kicks up 90° or so). These first generation STIs still had a lot of standard aero brake lever "logic" in the way they were oriented to a handlebar. Second generation (9-speed) moved a little more toward the shifter body being longer and a place that would be more comfortable to spend time, with early 10-speed being better still, with the arrival of a long enough shifter body that it didn't matter if you rode a modern or classic drop bar--the shifter body was long enough to rest your whole hand on. That was the second iteration of 10-speed (Shimano 7900 Dura-Ace, 6700 Ultegra, 5700 105).

All that to say thank you! I'm planning on mounting my 6400 STIs on some Soma Highway One compact drop bars soon, and now know that it will look good!
I am very happy with the way this bike handles. Took a spin around town today and it just wants to go. Looking forward to warmer weather.