View Single Post
Old 06-10-19, 01:42 PM
cnew2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ready for a new bike

I've been riding my Trek Verve for several years. I got serious 2 years ago and now have done 2 different 300 mile 5-day trips. I put about 1200 miles on the bike each year for the last 2 years.

I feel that I'm ready to advance past what my bike store called an entry-level Trek hybrid. For a challenge, I am going to ride a 100 mile ride in August, in addition to my 3rd 300 mile 5-day trip.

To try out a road bike, I found a several year old Giant road bike on craigslist. ...I'm not so sure that I like it. I've taken it on a couple 12 mile rides and have made a visit to my bike shop for some fitting advice. The positives, it is so efficient vs what I ride now - I get up to speed quicker, I climb a little easier, its so nice and lightweight. BUT the negatives: 1. my wrists hurt I just can't seem to get comfortable on the handle bars. 2. I can't reach the brakes easily I have to reach and stretch. 3. My neck gets achy ... all you people that ride road bikes and look up are ok with this posture??? 4. My crotch hurts (the front part not my butt bones) 5. It's so stiff any little pebble is a jarring experience. .... In general I am uncomfortable physically and a little uncomfortable mentally.

I would like to buy a new bike and am leaning toward a hybrid instead of a road bike because of my experience with the Giant. I think I need some of the comforts that a hybrid offers me.

I'm a 57 yo female in ok shape.

Thoughts?