Old 06-13-19, 10:10 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
This thread is stupid. One person says he is the greatest humanitarian because he rides cheap bikes ... as if free will doesn't exist, or choice, or as if people who spend a lot on stuff the poster does not, might not also do more than he does to help those in need .... and from some points of view, "people in need" are people working off karma from past lives and "helping" them by easing their "burdens" is actually increasing their burdens ... the only real help is to help them understand their situations and accept them better.

Self-satisfied people with tiny brains and tiny world-views who think because they think they know one thing, must know everything ... and think they must be the best, because they think of themselves all the time ......

And others who like to put people down for other reasons. For all I know a lot of people on this site live in upscale neighborhoods, ride upscale bikes, and join cycling clubs where a lot of people ride upscale bikes. And if any of us hang out with racers---racers will spend ridiculous amounts on their bikes ... many ride with wheels which cost more than my most expensive bike (which is CF with full Ultegra, so we aren't talking Good Will here.)

I have seen a lot of the people I ride with buy $1500 bikes, ride a while, get stronger, and buy $3000 bikes .... and in a few years I bet they buy another, maybe more expensive. And then they need gravel bikes too. They have the income, they have the credit, it is what they love. And I don't live in a particularly wealthy area.

People just love to put each other down. As proof, I am doing it too.

Fact is, we are all a bunch of Richards.

I know my wife and I have done what we have done charitably, and are happy with it. We did it purely for us, and almost no one knows about it. We did it to help, not to gain social standing.

For all anyone here knows we gave everything ... or nothing. Not anybody else's business. And bragging about generosity only soils it ... and Not being generous is not bad, because We have Choice. Not choosing honestly, lying to ourselves, and hating on others .... that's bad.

Seeking status can be bad ... but we all do it. Even the people who accuse others of acting to seek status are themselves seeking status---They want to be seen as superior for not seeking status---directly. No one is fooled, though.

Our egos infect everything we do.

I think I have done enough to stir things up so that Indyfabz will find some amusing retorts when he returns from his repast.
Likes For Maelochs: