burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I still have the original set of Giant 38mm aero alloy wheels that came with my Propel. 11spd. I got the Crockett up to speed as a cross and gravel only bike now. For a while it was using that wheelset while I carbon repaired the Propel last summer.

This wheelset is pretty nice and has sat for a while.

For some more fun opportunities, I'm considering putting some 25mm tires on the extra wheels for the Propel. Certain years supposedly didn't fit but up to 23mm tires. Certain years up to 25mm.

The one I have is a weird build. It's a red/white paint scheme that should have been an Ultegra PA1 build. But was built up with 105 stuff. I thought it was a 2015 model, meaning the less clearance. But the odd build combo has left me second guessing that. With 23mm tires, I can get my pinky finger between the brake pull wire and the tire. Maybe not THAT much, but it is certainly a LOT more than the 2mm difference in tire clearance I'd need. If the tire is 2mm bigger, there is certainly 8mm or so clearance right now. Maybe 1/4".

Short of buying the tires and being wrong, any other way to tell? Can't find a part number on the brakes without disassembling it.

The gravel in Umstead on the main roads is easy enough most roadies on a 25 to 28 tire should be good. Then I can take Ebeneezer Ch around the harder gravel and down Reedy and back in for a nice fast and challenging loop.

Was it the pull wire clearance or the actual metal part to rub? If the metal part you could always adjust that out by adding a washer to the brake shoe and turn the set screw outwards.
Quoting myself.

I found something from Surly that spaces the dropouts by 5mm. I can slot the brake a few mm to slide the shoe.

Their product specifically states it is for a rear facing dropout. Is it legal/design based wording to avoid trouble, or perhaps you "would dead" if you threw their dropout spacers on a road bike?

Frames have "dummy tabs" anyway. I'd assume they don't want the spacers falling downwards with a wheel/skewer or something.

Opinions? That'd be $40 vs. $250+ for Fouriers brakes.