Old 02-18-19, 09:34 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
First ride on the trike. Made some adjustments, tightened some things down. I tilted the seat all the way up... this is going to start as a fancy wheelchair, after all. The boom length was too short even though I'd lengthened it last night, made me glad I made the new chain longer than the old one. Still too short after another adjustment but I'm holding off because it's obvious that I'd hate these giant toe straps even without the impending chest surgery and I need to get my SPD's installed and the boom adjusted to match them before I go under. Once under way, speed was about par with the MTB. Three 406 x 35, 50 psi tires on the wooden bridge made me already miss my 27.5+. The Topeak MTX track rattles harmlessly. When I got to work I wasn't sure what to do with the thing. It does not wheel through a doorway and it's got too big a footprint to hide in my cubicle. I had originally intended to park it in the motorcycle area for a lark but I'd forgotten the cover and it's a partly rainy day. So much for my lovely new chain! It does not fit in the new bike boxes. At least not upright... hmm, maybe I'll try it on its side. Edit: yeah it fits, not gracefully. Would want something like motorcycle frame sliders if doing it regularly.

This is going to be fun for my recovery but I'm already seeing why this trike is made the way it is, and others are different, and wondering if I'd like the different better.

Yuck, that is badly compressed. Oh well...

I have a luggage rack that came off a folding bike with 20" wheels. I suspect it would be a much better fit than the rack you have. You can have it for the cost of shipping, send me a private message if you want a photo or something.