View Single Post
Old 07-09-20, 09:02 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Some countries have a population that has a high level of trust in science and most people trust trained experts for their expertise. It sounds like Canada is such a country.

And in USA at times it appears that there is a war on science and expertise. And right wing media that many rely on for their "information and opinions" does not help make anybody safer.

I am not a Canadian, but I thank you for your hard work and sacrifice during these difficult times. I spent over five weeks in Canada last summer on my bike tour and had a great time.
Thanks. In a similar fashion, while the overall picture of the country seems very odd at the moment, whenever I have travelled in the US it seems, individually, I have met some of the most friendly, generous people around.

I've faired pretty well through this thing because I am, by nature, an introvert who's extracurricular time is often spent alone doing endurance sports. Built for social distancing. But I am very proud of my co workers who have been towing the line for 4+ months under a constant low grade stress level (with occasional peaks) maintaining a siege mentality. The stress is never knowing "if" it will enter or, no matter how hard you try to limit outside exposure, whether you will be the vector that brings it in. But, there is also a sense of pride knowing we are protecting our residents that outweighs the negatives and makes the sacrifices worthwhile. If one could viscerally transport that sense of pride in acting to protect the whole, the feeling it produces, I think more Americans would opt into making the changes needed.

We usually think individual freedom will make us happy but, looking back, it is the times when people come together in a common struggle that leaves a lingering sense of national pride.