Old 06-01-18, 05:53 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
The clicks don't line up with anything. There are 11 or 12 of them, IIRC. They are just stopping points as you continue to pull or release cable, much like Suntour's Power shifters and their micro-ratcheting. Or, like any friction down tube shifter-- 0° , 90° , and 180° do not correspond to chainring positions on a triple crankset--one just shifts until the job gets done. The Ergos just have infinite trim via notches, and it's super easy to set up a double.Triples aren't hard either. Adjust cable tension at the down tube shifter boss to help have the clicks line up the chain properly in each gear. This is the old world / organic part of Campagnolo that lives on. Shimano indexes double and triple chainrings, Campy doesn't or hasn't until very recently.

Don't overthink it. Set your limit screws, hook up cables, and go. You'll fiddle with it, as anyone does, to dial it in perfectly, if needed. Campy front shifting, especially with doubles, is really nice.
The new ones do index, and, to me, not indexing at the right place would be the only problem with matching these two (since amount of throw didn't change). That's why I wanted him to check to make sure that they are ergopower or whatever they called it that were almost rachetting. I know by the late 00's they were down to 5-6 clicks on the lower end stuff and a couple of years later it was just 2-3 clicks.