Old 07-20-18, 09:37 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
So, you want thousands of people to help you pay for an MUP, then you want them to stay off of it so that you can use it for your purposes and you don't have to deal with the others who helped pay for it. Or, if they do use it, you want them to use it in a way that is most conducive to your enjoyment of the MUP, not theirs.

Gotcha. Let us know how that works out for you.

Sorry, just kidding. Seriously, you have some choices: you can take the MUP as it is and enjoy it as it is; you can opt out and not use it; or you can make yourself miserable by fussing and fuming about all of the other jerks on the MUP, which has exactly zero effect on how others choose to use the public MUP. Or, I suppose (this being the Advocacy & Safety forum), you could form a group to advocate for the creation and enforcement of MUP rules with an aim towards maximizing your enjoyment of the MUP.

Personally, I choose to take the MUP as it is. It was paid for with public funds, and I'm happy to see others enjoy using it even if their use impinges upon mine. The MUP I've used is not appropriate for fitness cycling, it is appropriate for teaching kids to ride away from traffic, for other fitness uses (walking, running), for strolling and looking at nature, and for dog walkers. That's just how it is.
And therein lies the inherent problem: if paths are for kids to "learn to ride" then where do they go to ride when they grow up? As for the remaining, can't all of the rest be done just as effectively -- and even safer -- in parks and other safer recreational areas?

Since we're talking about taxpayer supported facilities consider for a moment you and your friends, family, etc. gathered in the park for a picnic, ball game or other outdoor recreational activity when someone on a bike decides to ride around and through where you are set up.

That likely wouldn't sit very well with most folks even though the ride could claims the park belongs to everyone. What would be your immediate response/suggestion to the cyclist?

Most likely you'd suggest they go use the path. Which would be an appreciate suggestion if the situation were ideal. Meanwhile, your group gets to chose either area and can freely encroach on all sections of the MUP including those specifically designated and marked for the purpose of cycling only. Funny how people tend to think only of things to their advantage, and not to the advantage of others. Go figure.