View Single Post
Old 07-16-11, 07:40 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1840 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 404 Posts
This question would be better answered by the commuting forums. We deal mostly with tires in the 400 gram and above range here.

The Schwalbe Marathon Supreme comes in 28mm at 310g per tire. The 35mm version of this tire lasted me through 4000km of loaded touring on the rear wheel, so it's more than durable enough for commuting. Its weakness is the thin sidewall. At around 3500km I experienced a blowout while riding on gravel, the result of a sidewall cut. I sewed cut together, booted it, and rode the tire another 500km until it received a similar cut in the tread. A similar repair was deemed unsafe for the massive descents I was doing on a regular basis at that time, and I gave the tire to a farmer in a hut at the side of the road.

The Vittoria Rubino Pro is a great tire. I've been using the same set on and off for three years now, including 900km of loaded touring around Lake Ontario. They probably have 2000km total on them and are still going strong, and have had very few flats. They're light and cheap as well. I never experienced the cornering problems you describe.