View Single Post
Old 05-14-19, 08:30 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,091 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I don't know that a human body contains three gallons of blood but more like 1.25.
Yea, 1.2 to 1.5 gallons.

Originally Posted by TimothyH
There is an internet article floating around somewhere which claims someone died on the side of the road when a seatpost broke and pierced his femoral artery. I'm not claiming it is true but I was an altar server at a funeral for someone who shot himself in the femoral artery while cleaning his gun. He was gone in less than two minutes while his family watched.

-Tim-
A sliced artery is going to be a different injury all together. I wouldn't want to experience it but you could apply enough pressure to slow or stop the flow because the artery is still relatively intact and would be fairly easy to pinch off one end (the upper end if anyone is asking).

A bullet impact is a whole other animal. The artery isn't just cut but it's pierced, torn and probably obliterated. It may even have suffered multiple piercings. A high speed impact like that does much more damage than being sliced.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!