View Single Post
Old 07-20-19, 08:25 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by velojym
We bought this bike from Jim at Richardson Bike Mart, 14 or 15 years ago, and had a great time on it for a while. After a couple moves and family life getting in the way (I have a thread on this in the clyde forum) it's been sitting in the basement, gathering dust.
Gettin' back on the bikes, and going through all our rides. This is now on the short list.

Mechanically, I don't plan to change anything. The bar-ends and gear ranges are fine.
I'll clean/lube everything that doesn't need replacing.

I do plan on working on the 'look' a bit, though. Since it's a 'vintage' steed, I think a retro look would do well, especially given the color.
Honey brown Brooks saddles, matching bar tape, and I'm thinking about using brown cable housings as well. B17 up front, and maybe a 67 in the back, to give my Rear Admiral a little suspension.
As with many tandems, the top tube is a little chipped up, while the rest of the paint is in great shape.
Figured, instead of a repaint, I'd go with some top tube protection. Maybe matching bar tape wrapped around the front and rear tops.
Oh, and replace the black plastic bottle cages with silver or chrome.

We never did go for the newest-lightest-fastest when riding tandem, though we did rip around White Rock Lake at a pretty good clip, and I think this gal can serve for a good while longer, and look good doing it.

I'm building my first tandem now, with a very similar color scheme. It's a Meridian, said to be (said by the seller) one of their last ones, and it has a very similar layout to this Santana, except for a taller rear seat tube. In addition the color is very close, and the decal size and placement are about the same. And both have 700c wheels.

Here's a picture of mine: