Old 08-03-19, 07:51 PM
mpp

Bikes: 2016 CAAD12 Disc 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
First group ride report

I went on my first group ride today -- a 50mi charity ride with 3440 ft of climbs. I've been riding for 6 weeks -- bought a CAAD 12 after 6 months of daily spin classes (Peloton). I wanted to get outside more so I picked up a road bike and got obsessed quickly.

I arrived at the event and was a bit intimidated as everyone seemed to know each other, or at least their team mates. When a group set out, I tagged along. I ended up leading for a bit due to some red light timing. Eventually, I fell back and followed from the middle / rear of a group. I was careful to avoid wheel overlap, minimize coasting, and mimic call outs and hand signs.

First rest stop was at 19 miles, followed by 19 more miles of climbs. During the second 19, the group leader took a tumble at a stop sign as a result of failing to unclip as his bike hit a pothole. Shortly after, another rider missed a turn, so I waited with a third rider until the loner returned. Ended up chatting quite a bit on the final 15 miles -- turns out I was riding with a team that's about 5mi from my house. Planning on joining them for their weekly climb ride this week.

All told, it was a great experience. Averaged 15.1mph with total moving time of 3:15. Wife and kids were waiting for me at the end with some very sweet signs. Looking forward to the next one!