Old 08-24-19, 08:37 AM
ChiroVette

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Easy answer. No.
Thanks for all the detailed information!

I had a feeling that all of this was the case. The couple of times I made the left at Long Beach to check out Point Lookout, instead of the right heading west, back to my area, I scoped out the circular highway entrance/exit roads for the Meadowbrook, and while I didn't look too hard, I got the sense these were not meant for cycling at all. When I looked at the other areas I asked about on Google Maps, it didn't look like there were a lot of places to ride, and none at all in the beach areas of Fire Island and east of that point.

I downloaded the map you send and will check that out. I already knew that you could get to Montauk via mostly streets and some cycling paths. I did a ride out to Manorville for a family party a month or two ago, and it was very easy to find mellow, residential areas to ride through as well as lots of bike paths/lanes. I wasn't so much worried about not being able to get to Montauk, but I wanted to see which of those southern, beachy outskirt areas were cycle-ready.

Its a shame that they won't let cyclist on the Robert Moses Causway, as it looks like it would be a beautiful ride to add that whole complex from the Wantaugh, through Jones Beach, all the way to Captree State Park, then back onto the main part of the island via West Islip.