Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
@Psimet2001, I am not exactly sure what you mean when you say the women you know who compete at that level are "only having an issue with the fact that this seems to be an issue". Not sure if you're trying to say that women in elite racing fields don't care about transwomen racing. But I don't necessarily think racing women's "opinions" on this issue are necessarily any better than men's
Ah - saying that I have not heard from a single one of the many current and former women who I know either personally or through sponsoring/supporting them while racing that has taken the position that they are in any way upset with competing against trans women. Rather they have almost unilaterally posted that are upset that men are so bothered about it. They have been upset that people consider it to be an "issue" at all. Considering these are women discussing the competitors in their own fields I wholehearted disagree with your statement that their opinions on the issue aren't better than anyone else's. They are the field. By definition they are the most important opinions.

Beyond all this, I believe the overall policy on transgender female athletes was dictated by the IOC and applies to all sports.
Thus my point about the UCI. In other words - discussing the science is fun but it's meaningless outside of the decisions of the governing bodies. We would all hope that the science plays a role in their decisions but this isn't a Boolean thing. With that in mind there has to be an arbiter and for me the governing and sanctioning bodies are covering that role.

Who should have a voice in this? Personally, I think both men and women who understand bike racing should be able to talk about this issue. But honestly the people who should have the biggest voice with the most weight given to it are people who understand bike racing AND who can be fair minded AND who understand what the science does and does not say. Male or female does not matter as much as the ability to be intellectually honest about it. Talking about this issue has never gone too well for me though- I just get called a transphobic bigot when nothing could be further than the truth.
I understand the women racers who are having an issue with men being involved in this. It is our (male), role to decide on the "fairness" of the women's field when they themselves have voiced loudly and repetitively that they believe it to be fair. Jumping on the transphobic name calling bandwagon is unfortunate as it just simply shuts down what could be a meaningful discussion but I have begun to understand where that motivation comes from. Its the anger of once again being told/rather man-splained to - about what should be considered fair. It really just does come across as men acting like they have to come to their rescue because they aren't able to know when it's unfair, They aren't able to comprehend the full depth or science of the situation.

The ability to use our brains and calmly discuss something seems likes its getting lost in our society, which a scarier to me than the impact on women's bike racing, which I could just drop out of my life if necessary with no harm done.
Agreed. I have really wanted to participate in the discussion but haven't until this thread because quite simply I watched all of the racers I consider close friends - racers I respect and admire - destroy any man in the industry that even remotely expressed interest in looking into the question with the frame of reference of discussing its "fairness". It has taken my engineering brain a long time to wrap itself around why that's the case. I would naturally question why we consider things to be illegal performance enhancing things in one scenario and yet so basic and necessary for human dignity and existence in another scenario that to imply it may be performance enhancing is akin to joining a hate group. Yet that is where we are.

I do miss the old days where everyone could just throw out ideas, thoughts and beliefs only to have them challenged by logic, science, opposing beliefs, etc. I know I've learned a ton but I fear the "everyone else is always wrong" approach we have taken in all things in life is just simply eliminating the discussion and ending any possible collaboration.

Meh. Smarter people than I - most likely women - will figure this out. I just wish people still showed up to races. I feel like I'm at the reg table holding a sign that says, "I don't care -Thank you for being here - just wash your hands"