View Single Post
Old 05-29-19, 07:45 PM
gil_00000

Bikes: 1977 Trek Tx700, 1978 Trek 510, 1969 Raleigh Competition, 1985 Univega Viva Sport, 1991 Bridgestone RB-1, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, 1987 Bianchi Limited, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 2019 Surly Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
I wouldn't if I were you.

I can't speak to their higher end stuff but the mid range is garbage.

If you like being able to shift with both thumb and forefinger on your Shimano shifter, you won't be able to on Sram.

I just bought a Surly Karate Monkey and HATE the 11 speed Sram components that came installed. The shifter doesn't work as well as I would expect. The shifts aren't as crisp. The brakes hydraulic brakes work just fine except they are ugly as sin. The brake levers are horrible. The derailleur feels and looks cheap.

It's a good thing I got the bike at 30% off. I will be changing out the Sram much sooner than needed. I've even thought about stripping my old mountain bike and throwing those parts on my new one. My 'old' 10 speed Shimano Zee is exactly what I expect and am disappointed about the Sram. When I got the Zee it was night and day. The shifting was always an issue with the Sram that came on that bike as well. I was just all around disappointed. I also thought about taking my mechanical disc brakes off and throwing them on the new bike since the hydraulics look and feel horrible.

I'm glad you created this tread. I wanted to tell someone how much I hate the new bike I just bought. The frame is good and very capable. I'll just have to change out the stuff I don't like.

I've heard Sram road isn't bad. In fact I've heard good things. Here's to hoping I'm not disappointed again. I recently started putting together a touring bike with 10 speed Sram road and mountian parts.

Rant over
Likes For gil_00000: