Old 06-07-19, 09:05 PM
cobalt123

Bikes: Salsa Marrakesh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
Seems like you could probably do something with parts made for electrifying a 20" folder, transplanted to a pre-teen size frame? 24" hub motors also seem to be available.

Or would it perhaps be possible to set a folder up with suitably compact reach?

Would a tandem be an option? I believe there are things like auxiliary cranks placed higher for shorter riders
I should have added: I visited "Clever Cycles" in Portland last week (great shop, super helpful). We talked about some different options including tandem. I don't like the tandem idea because transporting the bike is a problem. It's so big... And with the difference in height I think it would need to be custom.

He showed me some cargo bikes that can be fitted with a seat on the rear rack and running boards.

Then he showed me an electric version (the Tern https://www.ternbicycles.com/us/bikes/471/gsd-s10-0). And invited me for a test ride. It was so great. And after I left the shop I started thinking with an e-bike Kate might be able to ride on her own. That would be a great boost to her.

I really appreciated the gentleman I spoke with at Clever Cycles. Good advice and he really thought about the issues. I'll likely go back to him and put the question to him about an ebike for Kate.