Old 04-07-20, 01:29 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Some time ago, I got the bug to order a spare bottom bracket for my 1996 GT Outpost so I could replace the current one (getting old) in my spare time. Well, now that I have nothing BUT spare time, I put on my "shop" clothes this morning and set out to do it.

The problem is, the folks here on this forum insisted that a Shimano UN55 would be the replacement for the impossible-to-find UN72, so I bought the 55. So far, it ain't workin'. I can't screw either side of the bracket all the way into the frame. On each side, there is about 1/2" of protrusion.

Is there a trick to making this work, or is my brand new UN55 a doorstop now? And is there a better replacement for the UN72? The only details printed on the UN72 are ""LL113." The 55 reads "73 BC1.37 X 24."

I'm full of grease, and I am lost.
You have the 73mm version of the UN55, but you need the 68mm UN55. Here is a link to a listing for either (use the drop down list to see all available sizes). You could sell the 73mm, which I think would be in use in a vintage Raleigh, among other bikes (with a wider shell).

https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-UN55-Bottom-Bracket

Last edited by noobinsf; 04-07-20 at 01:36 PM.