Old 04-07-20, 05:47 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
I'll also say due to the very fine thread you need to clean out the old ones really well, slowly reverse thread the new cup until you feel the threads drop, start going the correct direction, and screw in by hand until you're sure it hasn't cross threaded. They are very easy to cross thread, especially on old abused bikes.
Pick up a small (2" diameter approximately), circular wire brush attachment at the local hardware store. In a drill, it will do wonders for old BB threads! It will clean them out like never before. Doing this -usually- obviates the need for chasing threads with a BB tap, which the LBS will charge decent money to have done. Also, remove any BB cable guide screws when doing this and installing the new BB. They usually get in the way and make threading in the "fixed cup" (DS, reverse thread) side difficult.

PS OP, are you related to Tom Papa? (Obviously not, I realize.) His "Out in America" segment on "Live from Here" kills me. Love him!