Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
It takes leadership from the organizer. I've seen it plenty of times. The organizer either doesn't control the situation mid-ride or say a single word about how the ride will go that day before departing.

If it starts to happen, my favorite is to let them go, then alter the route. So they can't brag about "winning a group ride". We know the roads well enough, a left here, a right there.....back on route in 15min and they're out of sight for the rest of the day.

I stopped going to one ride in-town. It was supposed to be a segment hunt and regroup kind of deal. Over time, some folks would plow on past the regroup points. In the city there are stop signs and lights to heed as a group. But, nobody ever told those people that. So, they didn't know. They just see folks hammering over a hill and assume it's time to go go go. Then when folks hold up over the top and wait, they look back like "wtf?".

My pet peeve lately is the ass that wants to surge in a circular rotating paceline. Instead they jump off the front almost an entire bike length ahead of everyone. Also folks sitting out of rotation for a few turns don't know how to sit out.

Or folks hijacking the group's current strategy for making progress. If nobody wants to do a rotation, get over yourself yelling at people trying to get them to. Start a break of your own with people who want to rotate. I know why they do it, they are trying to force everyone to work identical time. But that's not always the best medicine in a group. Even in races folks don't always go for that. Get pissed, go off by yourself off the front. But don't ceaselessly argue with folks about it. It ain't your ride.
A favorite saying, "Got 'em right where we want 'sm - out of sight."