View Single Post
Old 09-20-20, 06:14 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
Because in the photo, it actually looks like the fork is bent? Like that blue and pink Miyata in post #11 . Or is it blue and purple? Hell, I can't tell
Yup. At least, rhat's my assessment of the situation.

Some years ago i bought a frame from a seller who is, I think, generally well regarded. He sells a lot of good old bike parts at reasonable prices, well described, good photos. It was not a cheap frame, and shipping was not cheap either. Total cost to me was around $400 IIRC. The frame turned out to be bent. Once it was pointed out to the seller, he argued the damage was very slight. He also suggested the frame was bent in shipping, or I'd bent it myself. Seriously? It had the kind of damage that can only happen in a head-on crash.
​​​​​
Well, that was a pain in the ass to resolve, and an expensive lesson, namely that it's easy to miss a bent frame or fork, even for someone with a lot of experience. So, on these forums, when i see someone making what might be an expensive mistake, i try to point it out.

Sure, it's a meme. And sometimes a joke, about as funny as "send it to me for proper disposal," which we also see every day or two. But most often, if someone suggests a fork might be bent, it's because it looks bent. And in some cases it will turn out to be bent.