Old 05-06-22, 10:23 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11027 Post(s)
Liked 7,575 Times in 4,225 Posts
Originally Posted by JWK
The wife and I are doing an overhaul on our Surly DTs. New chains, cables, and we are going to try wax for a season and see how it goes. So we want to get four chains. Like so many who haven't shopped in awhile, I am stunned at the prices. So it goes...

I'm just looking for a decent chain without having to buy Shimano. What exactly makes for a "cheap" chain? What exactly is a bad chain anyway? What makes a good chain? I really have no idea. What to buy and where to get? Also, I will be needing to take these chains off a lot more than I used to when oiling. Do we need to get those expensive links separately, or are the links that come with OK to reuse a bunch of times. I've read various reports regarding this.

Thanks for any suggestions and guidance.
Less expensive chains tend to gain surface rust easier. I assume its due to whatever finish they do or dont put on the cheaper chains.

Just buy some chains that have a master link and call it good. A 9sp chain will last for so long that you will struggle to remember where you stored the spare chains.
Likes For mstateglfr: