Old 07-10-19, 02:59 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I suggest some research on brain injury and the amount of time to recovery. Check out the impact of multiple concussions. Then decide whether to race.
I have and I am definitely not taking it lightly. The part I'm struggling with is if my symptoms were serious enough to even be considered an 'actual' concussion, or enough to be concerned about. My actual symptoms were very mild compared to other accounts I've heard. I answered all the questions and did the follow the pen test that the first-aid folks gave me immediately after the crash. I had some sensitivity to light on the way home and felt a bit 'off', but that could be attributed to having crashed in general. I had trouble sleeping and a headache the next day, but I also had road rash and bruises making me uncomfortable and, didn't have any coffee (due to it potentially inhibiting recovery) which I know for a fact gives me a headache when I cut down from my usual 2-3 cups a day. So I guess I'm mainly worried that I'm making a mountain out of a molehill here. If I had more serious/obvious symptoms like forgetting words or dizziness or nausea, it would be a definite no to racing again.

Intelligentsia was supposed to be a last hurrah race for me before I hang up the bike for a few years, and I'm hesitant to skip it for fear of having regrets about not making use of the best fitness I've ever had (and good chance best I may ever have) to try to get some results.

Last edited by wktmeow; 07-10-19 at 03:03 PM.