View Single Post
Old 12-04-20, 05:58 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
My first “10 speed” bike, a Schwinn Continental, came with “rat trap” toe clips and straps so that’s what I used. After the first time I tipped over when I came to a stop and couldn’t get out of the pedals, I learned to not keep the straps too tight. I did like that they kept my feet in a relatively proper position on the pedals. When the “Mountain bike” craze hit my Schwinn was pretty much kicked to the curb as was having my feet secured to the pedals. While in the Army, I was stationed in Italy and treated myself to a hand built Italian “road bike”. It came with Look pedals so that’s what I used. Again, I liked the way they kept my feet in proper position on the pedals. However, I disliked any amount of walking in the Look cleated shoes especially if using the rubber cleat protectors. When I learned of the SPD system I bought in and loved them. I bought shoes with a recessed area for the cleat which made walking almost normal. Shoes of that type are not often associated with road bikes but several of my “road” bikes are equipped with SPD type pedals. Fear not, the Italian road bike still has the Campagnolo branded Look style pedals and yes, I still walk “funny” when wearing the Look cleated shoes.
So, in answer to the OP’s question, I very much enjoy using clipless pedals and think that I would say that with most any style. IMHO, those that say they “hate them” haven’t given them a chance to prove their worth!