Old 02-24-23, 02:17 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
I get the reason for not having a computer visible. On the track in NH no one said anything, but at the same time I never look anyway, even on my road bike. Took me a few years to realize that I was doing something wrong, so I went and figured out how to mount the computer head under my saddle. For me the power data is a recording of history, and I look at it after I'm off the bike and sitting at a desk with my computer.

The exception is when I give up doing a 500. Like the last one I did, in NH, I was disgustingly slow, I was tired, and I blew up half a lap into the thing (1.5 laps). So I sort of half heartedly pedaled the next half lap then soft pedaled the last lap, at up on the final bit, etc etc. Thought it was such a waste, so terrible, etc. Didn't even bother getting my time. I packed up my stuff so as not to hold up my carpool mate. We made the drive to his house, then me to mine (another 45 min or so). When I got home one of the texts waiting for me was "check your time". Not only did I not do that poorly, I even beat my carpool mate's time (and he's a former 1 and I thought he did a decent ride). Only one other rider beat me. Now, had I actually not sat up, I don't know how much faster I'd have gone, but I totally read things wrong. Having some feedback might help avoid that.

So, the reason this came up. I have an LED based heads up display. No numbers, just lights. It's no longer made but I have the unit sitting on the desk in front of me when I ride Zwift and got to thinking, it'd be nice to know if I was, say, holding between 800-900w or whatever (for the 500).

There is an audio component to it as well, I could wear it near my ear (normal location, just without the LED stalk in view) and it would tell me my power, but I think I'd have to prompt it to do so, so not practical.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson