Old 08-05-16, 12:58 PM
tgmcmonigle

Bikes: 2017 Giant Defy Advanced 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
It's been more than 30 years since I last rode a century, so I've worked my way up very gradually over the past year since resuming cycling in August 2015. I can handle 40 mile rides now, no problem. I know from previous rides of 100-250 miles it's mostly a mental challenge beyond basic physical conditioning.

My last centuries were in the 1970s-'80s in SoCal and Baja California, mostly barely supported. We had a sag wagon for emergencies. Some rides had cantinas along the way, but others didn't. The Mexicali-San Felipe ride around 1980 was probably the most grueling, with no place to stop and eat until we reached San Felipe. I carried a six pack of beer in my handlebar bag, water bottles and some snacks, but no full meals. While I wouldn't recommend beer as a nutritional substitute, I was young and dumb and it worked for me, other than needing to pee halfway through the ride.

My plan after the weather cools a bit this fall is to ride solo along our extensive MUP and bike lanes. No need for support, there will always be rest stops within 15-30 minutes of almost any direction I go. I'll carry some water and snacks, but I'll plan to stop to eat at the most convenient restaurants off the bike paths.

I can ride my own pace, my own route, and not worry about keeping anyone waiting at the finish. I figure if I start by 6 a.m. even at a loafing pace of 10 mph I'll be done by nightfall.

I may invite a friend to ride at least part of the way but mostly it'll be me and my app recording the ride for digital posterity.

Once I get that out of the way, I'll think about an organized group century for next year. I also plan to add a lighter, nimbler road bike by next year. My current 35 lb comfort hybrid is fine, but does slow me down just a bit now that I'm in better shape.
It's awesome that you have that many miles of paved trails to ride. I may need to load my bike up and spend a day or two riding there, it's only a little over two hours from me....