Old 05-07-19, 03:43 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Yes yes. My comment wasnt directed at you specifically. And I totally agree with what you mention- they are great options and have 'stock' frames. For what its worth, I too went away from the OP's request by listing a bunch of bikes/frames that probably arent available locally.
No worries.

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
You're unlikely to be able to walk into a shop and see any variety of steel frames on the floor. Put enough thought into it to know what geometry and features you want, then order what you like. Many more choices, even used. Unlike carbon, a used steel frame is not necessarily a crap shoot. Best of luck!
A corollary to this is that you can generally get any ride and bike characteristics out of any material but they will all have different designs. Steel today, is not the same steel from ages gone by. For example, I bought a frame in the mid -80s and built a bike out of it. The frame was the latest and greatest available in steel (a Basso racing frame). The wheels where handbuilt from the best hubs and rims available. The bike weighed in a 26lbs. You had to be careful about applying power at times or you could cause the drivetrain to shift. The frame was not stiff by today's standards.

About 5 years ago, I had a custom stainless frame built to accommodate some fit problems that I've typically had for years. The bike is really stiff but has great vertical compliance for ride quality. That bike, weighs in a just under 17 lbs and could go lower. This bike beats out a lot of carbon frames by available from the LBS. The bike is a dream for me to ride.

I also have a Gunnar frame . That also rides well when set up properly. That's is largely a standard frame (chromoly) and set up the way it is, weights in at round 18-19lbs. That's a cross frame and I use it for gravel riding and fast touring.

Both of these frames/bikes are tough, repairable and resellable as well as light, nimble and fun to ride.

J.