View Single Post
Old 09-23-19, 05:51 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
tried the technique where you don't removed the tire/tube from the wheel to patch a small puncture. in hindsight I could have even left the wheel on the bike! thanks to bikeforums I used another tip found here. love this place!

also, when presented with a choice of patches from my bag, remembering ppl liked Rema patches so much I went with that brand. luckily I had a viable unopened tube of adhesive

thanks to a fellow BF rider @ZIPP2001who has great familiarity with the process, encouraged me to use 2 thin layers of adhesive & even tho the directions don't mention drying before applying, that's what we did. another Zipp suggestion was to leave the cellophane backing on before re-inserting the tube into the tire. held up great over the next cpl hours on a rough & fast trail. I've got complete confidence in the patch & have no plans to replace the tube

granted I was lucky & knew exactly the cause & position of the puncture. start to finish approx 13 minutes. could have been faster if I didn't take the wheel off

a bit suspicious of a thumbtack on a bike trail ...

while pressing the patch in place Zipp also massaged the patch from the center toward the edges

used a Genuine Innovations brand CO2 inflator. not sure if it's working properly cuz I couldn't use the entire contents of the cartridge. meaning it still had gas when I removed it to use another. have to look into that further & if a single 20 gram cartridge is enough for a 700 x 2.25 tire/tube combo to get to 27 psi