Old 08-08-21, 12:47 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Cal398
Great nuanced discussion here, “different spokes for different folks” 😁. As mentioned, I’m definitely not putting 650bs on my road bike anytime soon. Does anyone know if there is a bike with 700c x 2.1” clearance with a low bottom bracket, no toe overlap, and agile gravel geometry (possibly an impossible combination of features?).

What’s the groups personal anecdotal experience on speed between 650b with fat road slicks vs 700c and narrow road slicks? I don’t trust Jan’s work at all, my personal experience with the Rene Herse knobbies can be blamed for that.
Certain I've come across a european frame or two like that with a tucked-in chainstay but they weren't off-the-shelf carbon. Bit like an Open WI.DE but 29er.

Just talking speed-wise (on road), vs a road 700c, I found the 42mm extralight the easiest to keep up with a roadie. Roll-down fairly quick though.

Been on the 48mm also, but now settled on the 2.2" SpeedKing Racesport as it covers a wider range of conditions when not quite requiring some knob height.
As supple as the extralight. Cheaper, and just as fast in my view.

Have noted Jan's new 27.5x2.2" knobby which i would like to try some time though, in some (limited) conditions.
[as an alt to the Conti RaceKing Racesport].

Last edited by tangerineowl; 08-08-21 at 12:49 AM. Reason: txt
Likes For tangerineowl: