Old 05-06-19, 06:18 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryan C.
Tim quoted my post so I'll reply to this

High end = expensive, with spiffy features designed to make them work better.

Pro riders do count, but define the pro. Would that be a sponsored rider that uses the gear their sponsor supplies? Or a self supported rider that pays out of pocket for their own parts? What type of bike they ride isn't really an issue. Sponsored riders use what they are given. Racing is expensive, so a self supported rider may use the lower end consumable parts to offset some of those costs.

As for pushing the limits. Have you ever overheated your brakes to the point they no longer work? Seems pretty self explanatory.

Believe it or not, some people actually prefer their brakes to work. Like ALL the time. If you ride hard then maybe you should invest the few extra bucks and buy the high end parts. Overkill? Sure, I'll go with that. But considering how expensive medical care is I would rather spend the extra money for the added safety margin the good stuff provides.

But back to my original statement, if you truly don't need the increased capability then don't pay the premium for the high end parts. Plain and simple.

Seems like the guys who buy the cheap parts are the ones who have a problem with the expensive stuff and the people that buy it. I will admit I'm spoiled and like some bling on my bike, but even I have my limits. I certainly don't have a problem with people who are budget conscious and prefer more cost effective parts. To each their own.
I've been using disc brakes a long time, long before shimano ice tech rotors ever came out, and I've never had a pad/rotor overheat to the point of failure. Everything from BB5/BB7/Spyres/HYRD/Red Hydro/Shimano RS685 with finned pads. I've used everything from original avid cleansweeps to icetech rotors and just about everything inbetween. For both road and mountain. I guess I find it weird that some here claim that its a noticeable performance difference with ice tech rotors and yet pros are running sram discs at pro levels without an overheating issue from gravel to cyclocross to road applications. Campy too at some conti levels. I like icetech rotors mostly because they seem to stay true a bit longer but I've never had a performance failure in the field from my rotors. Pads yes, organic pads in muddy cyclocross races barely last the entire 45 mins etc but never rotors.
Likes For redlude97: